History


The Cupertino Historical Society and Museum (CHS&M) is dedicated to ensuring that the tradition, history, and past of Cupertino stays alive for all to understand and share the richness of our diverse culture.  

Our purpose is to "Create a Passion for history".  We do this by collecting the artifacts and ephemera that represent the past and present of Cupertino. There are 3,000 artifacts spanning over 100 years of Cupertino’s history – including settlement, agriculture, education, home life, and business.

On May 2, 1966, the Cupertino Historical Society was founded as a non-profit organization by Louis Stocklmeir, the city's historian, and a group of longtime residents concerned about the rapid growth in the area and its impact on memorabilia that would be so vital in communicating the history to future generations. 

Opened in 1990, the Cupertino Historical Museum, housed in the Quinlan Community Center, is a growing repository of artifacts, documents, photographs, and oral histories of city residents, industries, and businesses past and present. Through revolving exhibits, the Museum attempts to develop and expand the learning opportunities that it offers to the culturally diverse community of the City of Cupertino and its surrounding area. 

Volunteers from the Society display and discuss the significance of the artifacts from the museum collection by means of a Traveling Trunk, taking it regularly to schools. 

Located at 10185 N. Stelling Rd. inside the Quinlan Community Center the museum is open to the public, Wednesday through Saturday from 10 a.m. – 4 p.m. depending on the availability of  museum volunteers. Information: (408) 973-1495,  Email: info@cupertinohistoricalsociety.org

Please call 408.973.1495 to make sure the museum is open. 
Admission is FREE but donations are always welcome. 
Please specify - Donation is for: CHS Operating Funds / CHS Collections / Annual Fund Drive / General



_______________________________________________________________________
Cupertino  

Cupertino owes its name and earliest mention in recorded history to the 1776 expedition led by the Spaniard, Don Juan Bautista De Anza, from Sonora, Mexico to the Port of San Francisco to found the Presidio of 

St. Francis.  ........ read more